Sunday, May 29, 2011

"TAXI!"

Ah the Dutch.  A couple of weeks ago, I was at the gas station filling up the "taxi" and I was approached by a woman speaking dutch to me. I politely answered I spoke English and she said that she needed to go to the Heemstede Aerdenhout train station which is only 5 minutes away. I believed she needed directions so I told her where it was, she looked at me and then replied that she needed a ride. Didn't particularly ask if I was going that way, or if I would take her- but walked around to the car and got in. I was baffled.. did she believe because I was driving the signature taxi, the Mercedes, that I was a taxi driver? She was an older woman, very well dressed, on her way to a reunion of sorts for her classmates and she just assumed I would take her. I remembered the golden lesson of karma and decided what the hell.. so, I took her to the train station (thankfully I was going that way..) As she got out of the car, she thanked me multiple times for the ride, and was gone. I think that was my good deed for the day? Never in a million years would I do that. Nor would it ever be done in America. Just another reason why I love Holland- the nerve.

No comments:

Post a Comment