Thursday, June 9, 2011

"How many tennis players does it take to screw in a light bulb?.."

...... "What do you mean it was out? It was IN!" Oh tennis.. I fondly (or maybe not so fondly) remember you from when I was seven. My Mom was one of those parents that wanted her child to try a little bit of everything, dabble in this, dabble in that, and only stick with the things that I felt really passionate about. So, I tried tennis, and ballet, flute, violin, gymnastics, cheerleading and horseback riding. Tennis lasted probably six months, and that's being generous. I just never saw the appeal of a ball being catapulted at you at an ungodly speed (yes, even at seven I was dramatic..) Recently, we've had a guest at the house that has been staying with us, that is addicted to tennis tournaments. So, I spent the last two weeks watching the French Open, which astonishingly, I really enjoyed. (TEAM ISNER!- born in Greensboro, NC.. My tennis eye candy..) And more surprisingly, I'm so excited for Wimbledon at the end of June.

tvguide.com

That being said, there is a "parent/child" tennis tournament coming up in Zandvoort where all three of the kids play at least once a week.. Emma has requested that I be her partner, therefore I have been talked into practicing nightly with whichever kid will have me. I couldn't possibly say no, it's such a sweet request, and yet, I feel as though I have to exceed any expectations so I don't have the entire Dutch tennis community laughing me and an 11 year old off the court. Therefore, I've worked on my backhand, forehand, net shots, SLAMS, and just about any other tennis technique possible. Jacob and Emma have been extremely encouraging, and helpful.. and soon, I will be subjected to nightly games out on the tennis court. What have I gotten myself into?

No comments:

Post a Comment