Saturday, December 18, 2010

Planes, Trains and Automobiles..

Longest. Day. Ever. And unfortunately I didn't even get a chance to make it to London. The verdict is still out on whether or not our 8:00pm flight will leave tonight thanks to the foot of snow Amsterdam has received in the past 48 hours. Let's back up to Thursday.. Woke up at 1am, couldn't sleep- so I blogged, took a shower and got ready for the day. I knew I had to go to IND (the Dutch government agency that determines if I can have a residence permit) so I got all of my paperwork together. By 8:45, the kids were at school and I was picking up Kristian to go since he still working on receiving a visa from ANY country- Germany was a no go. Off we go to IND- which isn't too hard to get to, minus the ridiculous traffic. With all the public transportation in this country, you'd think there would be much less people on the roads and many more people on the trains and out of my way. A 45 minute car ride and a ridiculously difficult parking garage, which resembled a prision for your car and bike- we were inside. In some parking garages you have to ring a bell, which then you have to attempt to tell the person on the other side why you are there.. or, you just hope they buzz you in. But then, you have to question how in the hell you're going to get out. It's all a very difficult concept. My appointment lasts about 15 minutes- I'm informed I have to go to the US Embassy in Amsterdam to have an Affidavit signed that states I have never been married, nor do I have any children of my own in the US that I left behind to move to Holland. Are you serious? I'm not questioning parenting skills, but who ups and leaves their own children (dogs excluded) to go take care of someone elses children. Anyhow, I leave with a 47 page packet I have to go through and have signed, a list of 10 items I need to bring with me, and very unclear instructions on whether or not if I leave the country before my visa is approved if I will be let back into Holland. Needless to say, Thursday was a very frustrating day- but anyone that battles with the Visa fascist knows this (thinking about you Kait in London!)

Friday, I'm off bright and early to go to the US Embassy in Amsterdam. Overnight, we have had a snow storm that makes Bentveld look like a winter wonderland. That's one interesting thing about living somewhere that has snow regularly, or perhaps not speaking the language- I NEVER know when it's going to snow. And I wake up to the feeling of a kid on Christmas. I've really grown to like how beautiful and peaceful everything is when it snows- especially since in Holland, the world doesn't stop like in NC. Unless you have to go to Amsterdam. It takes Eva and I two hours by car to get to the Embassy, and Amsterdam is 20 minutes by car usually. There, I am excited to speak with some Americans- until I realize that the man working the counter is an overweight American man squeezed into his little Embassy suit, on a power trip. Apparently you're not supposed to bring cell phones to the Embassy, and if you do then you're punished and made an example by having to stand in the red line, rather than the blue line which moves much, much quicker. Standing outside over an hour in the freezing cold of my own Embassy is bullshit. Which reminds me not to bring my cell phone ever again if I have to go- mission accomplished. Note to Americans: When you are in another country, can you please not wear your white sneakers, fanny packs, talk really loudly.. and smile like an idiot. It really is embarassing to the rest of us who try to fit in with the natives. After two hours, my paperwork is notarized and I'm off to Hoofddorp again to hang out with the IND. Much better trip, my paperwork is almost finalized, I know what I need for my last appointment. However, it's been snowing so much during the day- that the train is delayed, for almost an hour. Finally on my way to Leiden, where upon arrival, I realize that my train home is also delayed, for an hour. I left the house at 7:30am didn't arrive home until 5:30pm.. I had two appointments. One that should have lasted 5 minutes, and another that should have lasted 30 minutes. A complete waste of a day. Off to dinner with Jack and the kids- I eat hare, as in little rabbit stew, which was actually delicious if I didn't think of my pet Floppy that I had when I was five. More snow..

Saturday, slept in.. packed, went to Schipol airport, no problem through security until the woman had to frisk me, and I mean an absolute frisk. I haven't been felt up like that in some time, the kids are standing there laughing hysterically as she lifts my shirt up, stick her hands a little around the edge of my pants, grabs my top and kinda lifts my breasts, it was quite awkward.. nervous about my trip through customs, however they stamped me in and out (thanks cancelled flight) which means I'm guaranteed for another three months. Disappointed about cancelled trip to London, but if one of my trips in December is going to be cancelled I would much rather it be this one, then the one to Dublin and Paris! Monday off to Amsterdam with the kids to the Anne Frank house, Tuesday, shopping in Haarlem and Harry Potter. Maybe it won't be so bad afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment