Monday, December 20, 2010

Detroit?

After arriving back to Bentveld after our 3 hour fiasco at the airport last night, I decided that I would go out with the "girls" since our London trip was cancelled. Got ready, went outside to get my bike, which I haven't rode since last Saturday night.. and it was not in the bike shed. But there was a new bike there.. hmm very interesting. I have the keys to my bike, but my bike isn't here- there is a new bike, but no keys. could I have possibly biked the wrong bike home in a drunken stupor? As I stand there puzzled, I decide I need to use Christiaan's bike, which is much nicer than mine anyway. Still very confused about where my bike is. Met up with Kristian one street over.. attempted gracefully biking in the snow and slush- fishtailing all over the sidewalk. Taking it nice and easy, my hands are freaking freezing but I manage to get to Tapuit without falling off my bike. Thank god. Marloes, Gwen and some of the dutch guys were already there.. good to catch up with everyone. After an hour or so, we decide to go to KV, two shots of tequilla later, we're off to Murphy's law in Haarlem. After an interesting conversation with a Dutch militia man who offered to hire me to "clean his house" though he didn't seem to understand that I take care of children, not clean, I was more than ready to leave. Note to all men: If you're interested in where someone is from, and you ask once or maybe even twice if you forget, that's okay. But asking four times, and then the fifth time saying, "Oh, you're from Detroit"- that just makes you an idiot, and you make me an idiot for standing there telling you four times I'm from North Carolina. What a moron. Kristian and I decide to head to Storing on the way home... closed down the bar at 4am and the rest is history. "Hey sexypants.." - Don't leave your cell phone unattended with drunk men.

Sunday I was able to sleep in, and by sleeping in, I mean 300 in the afternoon. I blame it entirely on the curtains that block out all sunlight, because you really don't have a realistic view of what time it is until you get up and look at the clock. Watched "Alone in the Wild", which is a show about a Brit who gets dropped off in the wilderness in Canada and he tries to survive off the land for 3 months. Don't want to ruin the ending for you Robert, but he only makes it 50 days.. :) http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/alone-in-the-wild

Seeing as though we were supposed to be in London today- we all pretended we were on Holiday. Although I was the only one to get up and get dressed, its almost 4pm and the kids and Jack have JUST taken off their robes and PJ's. Supposedly we're on London time at Groot Bentveld. Drove to the grocery store this morning to get supplies.. still cars are getting stuck on side streets in the snow, people are getting out of their cars and helping each other by pushing. I love that, seriously, in the States people will leave you in your car to freeze to death. Not in Holland, people helping other people. It was actually a beautiful day considering the amount of snow we still have on the ground- and more is coming the next few days. Off to take the kids into Haarlem to Christmas shop. Looking forward to a relaxing week before my trip to Dublin on Sunday!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment