Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Holland safari..

I have never, ever battled with insomnia. Ask anyone, I could easily sleep 15 hours a day.. since I've been in Holland my entire sleep pattern has changed. I blame majority of it on the late closing of bars and clubs on the weekends, which usually results in me sleeping in. But during the week, when I would really like to sleep like a normal person- I find myself up until 430-500am getting up at 640 to work. That makes for a really, really long and painful day. I blame the other portion of my irradict sleeping pattern on the fact that when it is midnight here in Holland, all my peeps in the States are getting home from work (600pm) and are trying to talk, skype, email.. etc. I wonder if I will ever get used to the time difference, or if I will just have to get used to my constant insomnia. I've had a few friends suggest that since I live in the land of marijuana, I should just self medicate. Don't worry Mom, I've opted not to. It's hard to explain the reefer smell coming from my studio apartment to my host family.

Today started off like any other Tuesday. Freaking cold, slept 2 hours, made coffee to survive, listened to the kids fight. We went outside to go to school and surprise, the gate was frozen shut. Plan B, off to the main entrance of the house.. shocker, the lock is frozen on the gate. At this point, I realize we are going to have to go up the huge hill, down into the valley, down by the lake, through the rows of trees to get to the third and final gate.  Literally, the sedan is bouncing over the hills, I'm shifting gears and the kids are laughing hysterically at the thought of zebras, lions and elephants running past us. My morning results in a version of a Holland safari when I look over and see the three dogs dodging the tall grass, and chasing after us. Plan C. The third gate. Thankfully, this one was able to be warmed up and opened. Just a thought, but why have this many means of security to protect the home, the art, and us if we can't even get out of the estate. Ironically,  I suppose this is top level security at its finest. If we can't get out, theres no way in hell anyone else is getting in.

Upcoming trip to London on Friday. My host family has a flat near Baker Street. I'm informed it's 5 minute walk from 221B Baker Street which every mystery fan should know that is the previous home of  Sherlock Holmes. More importantly, I will be having dinner with a good friend of mine, the beautiful Kaityln Harszlak and her adorable british boyfriend Ashley.I am so excited to see her and finally meet Ashley! I think it's been almost 4 or 5 years since we've seen each other and now we're both living in Europe!!! Dinner at a yummy American BBQ restaurant in London (thank god..I know Kait and I are both craving American food!!) http://www.bodeansbbq.com/ and lot's of catching up! Other excursions for the week: I hope to drag the kids with me to Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park http://www.hydeparkwinterwonderland.com/ and we're also going to The Nutcracker at the Royal Opera House http://www.roh.org.uk/ .. I'm so excited for my first of hopefully many trips to the UK!!

Off tomorrow for a short trip to the IND,the group of  government officals that decide if I can finally have my  au pair visa so I can actually leave the country! ha! We will see what happens, I might be living in Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park next Wednesday when I attempt to come home. Dream come true.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the shout out. super jealous that you're going to the nutcracker, i want to go so bad but just can't fit it into our busy holiday schedule this year. winter wonderland is a must do. try to go on monday, hopefully won't be as busy? .... anyway, love this post and will me FB messaging you soon to make final arrangements for our reunion, looking forward to it :)

    ReplyDelete