Sunday, December 26, 2010

Patiently awaiting my first trip to Dublin..

Man, I have been a bad blogger recently. I've been trying to keep up but with the Holidays it proved to be more difficult than I imagined. Recap of my Christmas week.. Tuesday night, met up with the other au pairs at Marichen's house (her family is away in Belgium).. enjoyed each others company as always. I wasn't drinking much that night so I became the D.D which sometimes I really like, deciding when the group leaves, having a car to drive rather than biking in this snowy slush. Went to Tapuit aka the mancave with myself, Marichen (south african) Kristian (canadian) and Milly (australian).. needless to say we were representing a sample of the world. Spent the night catching up with my dutch friends, and having my au pair friends mingle with that crowd. It's really gratifying to realize how many different groups of friends I have been able to meet since arriving here. So thankful for my different relationships with them and that they are all able to enjoy each others company. Closed down the bar, and then brought back 5 or 6 of the dutchies back to the house for drinks. Red wine till 7am= massive headache on Wednesday.

Wednesday, went to dinner at the house of a good friend of mine, Jitse and his family. Jitse was one of the original dutch friends I made here who introduced me to all of the girls and guys I now I have in my life. I feel really lucky to  have a great friendship with him and I've spent plenty of time hanging out at his house, and spending time with his amazing, strong and intelligent Mom, Esther. I love his family very much. Delicious lasagna prepared by Jitse, then Frannie arrived, and we were back off to Tapuit. One beer turned into multiple ones, and then we were closing down the bar- yet again. Thursday was a regrouping day for me.. early bedtime.

Christmas Eve- the kids woke me up with my christmas present.. Lancome eye makeup set, YAY for new really nice mascara. Spent the last hour with them before they left for their grandparents house in The Hague.. I really think I'm going to miss those three this week.. granted there are times I'm ready to kick their butts, but after almost four months I have grown to love and appreciate them for their many traits. I love that I have formed a different relationship with each of them, and look forward to that bond growing during my time here. Went shopping with Marichen and Kristian for our Christmas Eve dinner at Vomar.. (a local grocery store). I LOVE that you can buy liquor inside of the grocery store- it makes for one less trip to the ABC store in the States. Pork tenderloin, pasta, and chicken on the menu- Southern Comfort, Vodka punch and Champagne to celebrate. Dinner around 8pm with 10 of us- Marloes and Frannie joined which is always wonderful, and met a new dutch au pair named Leyla, who made me feel a little less old at 28. :) Leyla drove us into the city center of Haarlem to go out, and to see the caroling in the town square. At one point, I had to pinch myself  that I actually live in this amazing little European country. Tons of people were together in the city square, there was a huge stage with a band playing dutch music, a giant Christmas tree all lit up against the glow of the enormous (Groot=big) Church. People were drinking cider and beer and all singing together.. it was a really beautiful sight. Ended up at Stielts, then Lift, followed by Murphy's and off to Marichens again for the night!

Christmas day.. woke up with the au pairs, had coffee together. Came home and skyped with my Mom, Grandma and Porter. Today I was emotional, seeing my family together- missing home (which I do occassionally, regardless of what my mom thinks) cried seeing them all together. Got myself together and reminded myself that it was okay to be sad, missing your family is okay, and Christmas is just a day to remind each other how much we love one another. So, that being said- I fixed my eye makeup and went off to Frannies house to have Christmas dinner. I am so grateful to have met friends, and their family that are willing to take me in for dinner or to spend holidays with them (I had Thanksgiving with Frannie as well). Delicious, lingering European dinner.. sat down at 7- didn't get up until 10.. 3 courses, wine, and lots of dutch conversation with a little interpretation on the side. The longer I am here, I am realizing that I am actually learning the language.. Granted I dont understand all of what is being said- but I can form a basis of the conversation. I really like that my friends and their family continue to speak dutch in front of me, it's so important to me to learn the language so that I can really get a grasp of the dutch culture. Language courses begin for me next month and I am really excited to start them!

Today I've packed, and am now waiting for my ride to the airport to join my cousins in Dublin. Ireland has always been on my bucket list, and I am so ready to get to there (man I love Irish accents). I'll make sure to try to blog along the way. Merry Christmas (belated) to all my friends and family in the States and all around the world. I miss you all this Holiday and hope that you have a wonderful New Year!! 2011 is right around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment