Monday, March 21, 2011

Concertgebouw, Amsterdam..

accessibletravelnl.com Outside of the Concertgebouw
One of my most favorite places in the world. Recently, I read in one of my geeky travel books that I secretly, and now publicly adore (especially Rick Steves, he always tells it how it is, even when it isn't particularly friendly) that after WWII Audrey Hepburn lived in Amsterdam and even had season tickets to the concert hall, Concertgebouw. Ahhh Audrey Hepburn, two words- class act. The woman was a style icon, and practically  screamed elegance with her style and poise. And now I have even gone to the Concertgebouw for two classical music concerts since I've lived in Holland, and maybe perhaps I even sat in the same SEAT as Audrey. One can wish. Regardless, a few weeks ago, Eva informed me that her and the kids wouldn't be using the season passes for the concert and if I would like, that myself and four friends could go to Amsterdam and use them on Friday night. It just so happened it was Kristian's birthday that week, and well let's face it- what's better than a concert with free drinks, coffee's, teas, or alcohol for a belated present. So, I invited Kristian and our good friends Marloes and Frannie to come along. Eva had seen the concert earlier that week while I watched the kids on a Tuesday night and had said that it was an interesting concert because the beginning portion was contemporary classic but ended with a piece by Brahms who I am a huge fan of. Brahms is beautiful chaos at it's finest. His music is always full of emotion, and reminds me of a roller coaster- with many ups and downs, slow, romantic and soothing portions, followed by extremely fast and passionately loud portions but yet, it always seems to mesh in the scheme of things. (Check YOUTUBE Brahms Symphony No. 1 in C minor, op 68 for a preview of the piece..) The day leading up to the concert was hectic as usual.. trying to finish my daily routine of professional referee of three children, and laundry duty.. sometimes I have a profound realization that my life here is a paid role as Mom, confidant, friend?, and ruler of all things household.  At ten till seven, I had six missed calls on my phone and was rushing out the door as usual to catch the train to Amsterdam with Kristian and Marloes.. we were to meet Frannie at the Haarlem station, however, she boarded the train before ours and we met up at Centraal Station in Amsterdam. Took the tram to Museumplein where the Concertgebouw is located, had a few complimentary drinks and located our amazing season seats. The Concertgebouw is set up with the stage in front of rows of seats, with a balcony in a horseshoe facing the stage- they also have two sections of seats on either side of the stage that ascend to the second floor of the concert hall. These seats face the majority of the seats in the hall, on the opposite side of the orchestra. The Concertgebouw had a wonderful idea to have these seats reserved for families with children (such as my family) so that they would be able to see into the orchestra and more likely be entertained (code word for quiet) during the two hour concert. Therefore, our seats were perfect. Intermission involved a delicious cappaccino and discussion of how bizarre the first two modern pieces were, and my anticipation of the Brahm's piece to follow. I was in no way disappointed.. what a fantastic piece, extremely moving and full of passion. We had a great time at the concert, and was so thankful I was able to both receive these tickets (at 36euros a pop- thank you Eva and Jack) and be able to share them with others who appreciate the arts. I hope this is my second of many concerts at the world renowned Concertgebouw.
allaboutjazz.com... This is literally where our seats are.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment